Application for registration
How do I apply to vote?
(1) A person may orally and publicly apply to the registration officer of the registration centre in which the applicant wishes to be registered to have that person’s name entered on the register for voters, and such person shall produce evidence of eligibility.
(2) In the case of registration at Umphakatsi, registration shall take place in the presence of the representatives of the Umphakatsi selected from among the Chief’s Council who may, if required by the registration officer, provide all relevant information regarding the eligibility of persons applying for registration as voters.
(3) In the case of registration at urban or industrial areas, the persons applying for registration as voters shall produce evidence or their Swazi citizenship or permanent residence.
(4) If the registration officer is satisfied that an applicant qualifies to be registered as a voter, the registration officer shall enter the applicant’s name on the prescribed form and hand the applicant proof of registration, signifying that the applicant’s name shall be entered on the voters register, and the registration officer shall thereafter enter the name of the applicant in the appropriate Inkhundla voters register.
(5) If the registration officer is not satisfied that an applicant qualifies to be registered, the officer shall reject the application, and the applicant may in the presence of the registration officer object by completing and signing the approved Form No. 1, including the declaration set forth in that form.
(6) Where a registration officer refuses to register an applicant as a voter, the registration officer shall, in the approved Form No. 2 inform the applicant of the refusal and the reasons for the refusal.
Notification of change of name or residence
(1) Whenever there has been change in the name of a voter or a change in the place of residence, with reference to which a voter has been registered in any Inkhundla, the voter may, immediately after the change, notify the registration officer for the Inkhundla in which the voter is registered of the change, in the approved Form No.3.
(2) Section 13 (4) of the registration act shall apply in respect of a notification under subsection (1) relating to change of residence.
(3) On receipt of the notification of change of residence, the registration officer shall, after ascertaining that a person has ceased to reside in the Inkhundla in which the person is registered, remove the name of the voter from the voters register for the Inkhundla in question, or cause it to be removed and shall thereby transfer, subject to section 15 (1) (b) (registration act), the name of the person to the supplementary voters register of the Inkhundla to which the person has moved.
(4) If on investigation it is found that the person forwarding the notification is not registered as a voter at the address stated by that person in the notice of the change, unless the prescribed form of application to be registered as a voter duly completed has been annexed to the notice, the registration officer shall require the person to complete and forward to him the prescribed form of application to be registered as a voter.
(5) With respect to change of name, the registration officer shall have the change of name recorded in the voters register, except that where the change of name is due to change in marital status, a person need not apply for a change in registration details.
Connect With Us